Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Northern Lights were out and about on Sunday night. It was so great to see them again. I sat out on the deck and watched for about 20 minutes--until Hudson managed to get past me and jumped over the balconey railing to go and visit the neighbour. I went inside and closed the door until she returned. Last night we three went outside again to see if there was a show going on and the minute my door opened the neighbours closed....guess he wasn't in the mood for a kitty visit.

My summer herbs have died. We had a frost warning one night a week or so ago and some of them took a hit that night. The rest have browned and shriveled in the days since. My not watering them for a while likely didn't help but it is hard to compete with temperatures during the day in the 30's and zero at night. Now I will need to figure out what to do with them during the winter months. I'll keep them out on the deck--no room inside the apartment but do I need to pull the dead plants out now? Or can I leave them until spring? Anyone know if I could plant tulips in them and have them grow in the spring? Now that's an idea!

2 comments:

Jack said...

Jennifer,

I would think you could go ahead & pull up the dead plants now and go ahead and plant tulip bulbs right after getting rid of the dead plants, since it is getting that cold already there. Sounds as if you have sort of a 'grumpy' neighbor, fur baby wise, at least.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I agree with Jack. If the herbs are dead they are just taking up space in the pot. If you plant tulip bulbs and keep them inside for the winter they should bloom in the spring for you. I can't say that I am speaking from experience as I have never planted tulip bulbs. Mine just come up in the flower bed every spring and I don't do anything with them.

Sounds like your cat figured out how to move from balcony to balcony. I sure hope kitty knows what she is doing. It is amazing that she figured she could balcony hop and visit the neighbours.

You so enjoyed the nothern lights when you lived up North it is great that you can see them again. PEI does not get a very good look at them. We had temperatures go down to 4 on Saturday night and they are back up to 23, 24 again in the day time. Go figure. But it sure is nice to have the sun and warmth in the day time.

Edith