Sunday, September 11, 2011

I had planned on an update last night but ended up having to go to work for a while and wasn't really in the mood by the time I got home. This morning also kind of went away as I was at the office for the whole morning and then had lunch with a co-worker...Monday will be arriving way to soon.

As a quick note for the day I remember being in Corner Brook at work when the first word of the towers came out. I went around looking for our US students to let them know what was going on. There was a lot of disbelief going around and concern. I watched HOURS of the news footage and couldn't really understand why this war had started. To this day I still don't understand war. In the days that followed I began to wonder what would become of me and my travels to the US. Was I safe travelling on a plane and would I be safe travelling in the US. I was and it was fine. Best to get right back up on the horse.

To those of you who lost loved ones that day there are no words to express our feelings but you should know we are here for you.

----------------
FMM is a 24/7 kind of town. The work at sites never stops and people are coming and going at all hours...but it does get quiet at night at least here in town. The stores understand the 24/7 shift work way of life and while none of the grocery stores are open 24 hours they do retain the same hours every day of the week...most of the stores do actually. There is no short hours on Sunday. It makes life easier for those employees who work so many days in a row followed by a few off and it makes life easier for me because I don't need to time my shopping around their hours on the weekend. On Sunday I can start my grocery shopping as early as 8am and finish as late as 10pm. At least at the store across the street.

What have I been doing lately? A lot of nothing. I haven't been camping because the bears have scared me away. When the bears are willing to walk around the very busy Walmart parking lot I can't see how my tent will protect me from their need for a snack. Most people have agreed with me and a lot of the runners and walkers are no longer out and about on their own. I have been doing a lot of reading lately. I haven't read a book in a long time. Yes, while travelling I read but not a Sunday afternoon dive into a book kind of read. That has changed in the past month. I'm starting off with easy read books. Novels about nonsense that I don't need to pay a lot of attention to the plot. Not romance novels but definitely some chick lit in my apartment lately. One book was so good that I stayed up late one night reading it. Sometimes its good to read books that aren't good for you.

----

Work is good but incredibly busy. My boss left a month after I started and I've been doing double duty ever since. She didn't leave the company but has been pulled away for a special assignment and has left FMMA. She sees it as a badge of honor that she went months without extra help and that I should see it that way. I don't. But I guess that isn't surprising. I like the people I work with and am very happy to be where I am. But it sure would be nice to have some extra help. I have about 500ish employees to look after.

---

I'm still a baking machine and I don't think a week has gone by that I haven't brought something in for my co-workers to munch on. This week will be banana muffins. I'm just waiting for the bananas to over ripen.
-----
The girls are doing fine. I bought some diet food for them a couple of weeks ago and poor Tundra has had dandruff ever since. I'm hoping that a couple weeks back on the regular food will clear up that problem. Hudson who has no weight problems--skinny minny was getting extra treats during this time to make up for the diet food she clearly doesn't need to be on. But they are both off the diet and we will just live with the chubby kitty for now.

They are changing their personalities a bit. Hudson has been rubbing her face up against my feet a lot and the she lays on her back and lets me rub her belly. This is very new behaviour for her. The belly rubbing is nice for both of us--I love her soft fur.

I bought them one of those scratching things you see on tv. It's an arc shape. Cardboard covered with a small bit of grit and that sits in a plastic holder. I have thrown out the plastic holder and turned the arc upside down. Tundra sits on it and rocks a bit now and then before she tears it apart with her claws. The little bits of cardboard over the living room carpet show me how much she enjoys it. Funny how they don't like it the way it was designed.

We are one big happy family most days.

---
I think (and am hoping) that I need to go to Edmonton at the end of the month for work for 2 days...and will hopefully be able to spend a day shopping.

I'm on track for my trip to Argentina in December. My vacation has been approved and now I just need to do some more research and book my ticket. Lots of time for that yet....it seems like a LONG time to go but I know it isn't.

This week will be the end of my 3 month probation at work. 3 months already--imagine that.

So...I'm hoping to do this again on a regular basis...I think I'm back.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

So glad to hear that you are OK, and that the girls are fine. Sounds like you are 'over busy' at work..but glad to hear you are finding some time for yourself as well. Hard to believe that your 3 month probation is already over..time really does fly. You'll have your arrangements for Argentina done soon, and it won't be long until you are leaving for there! Have a great week.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Jennifer! The way things work in this world make you wonder. I remember being in a management team meeting in the boardroom on the 3rd floor of the Shaw Building when the 911 attack in the U.S. took place. One of the people in the meeting went out to the washroom and came back to the meeting with a person from a near by office to tell us what was happening. I remember going back to my office after the meeting and the whole place was so silent - like everyone was in mourning. It was so erie.

Most interesting that your kitty reacted to the diet food with dandruff. I guess if you can cut back on the regular food she may be fine. My cat definitely does not allow belly rubbing or touching of any sort. He likes his ears nd troat masassauged (sp?).

I would freak out with bears in the Walmart parking lot. Camping would certainly be off my list of things to do if they are that brazen. You stay safe!

I'm glad to hear the 3 month probation is over and I too can not believe that you are there 3 months now. Wow! You are working really hard but think of it this way, you were there less than 3 months when you were entrusted to be in charge for your boss while they do their special assignment. Major credits to you and your capability!

Keep working on the plans for Argentina. You will get great pleasure from that and it will relax you from the work stress.

Edith