Friday, July 1, 2011

It's been a while. I know...I'm a bad blogger.

I was working a 7am-4pm shift last week and it was making me very tired. Getting up at 5:15, 5:30am to get to work for 7 meant I was in bed around 8:30pm...so I switched over to the 8am-5pm shift. Now I can get up at 6am and bounce in the door for 8am feeling rested and ready to go.

Work is awesome. The folks I work with are great and while I did grumble for having to work at 5:30pm on the Thursday of a long weekend...I ended up staying until almost 7pm long past when I needed to be there--why? Chatting with one of my new managers about life in Fort McMurray.

Today I headed out on a tour of the oil sands. It was a 10am-2pm tour mostly on a bus. Tour was excellent. I will write more about it later this weekend what I want to write about now is Canada Day. Earlier this afternoon I was very disappointed to find out that I had missed the fireworks. Apparently they were last night--at midnight, which technically yes is July 1. Yep, sad. Oh well.

When I was younger, so younger than today...I would celebrate Canada Day with a core group of friends. We would bbq and spend the afternoon together always a fun time. I came across a photo of us in our much younger years when packing and it reminded me of those fun times. Anyone remember when Shannon and I lived on Burns Avenue in that basement apartment. We bbq'ed in the back yard and passed things out the window. We had this little table sitting under the balconey above (a little table I had painted with this pink paint that was crazy texture and that table is still around), and took crazy pictures of us on a blanked in the back yard...which would now be the back of Walmart. I have one of BD putting out the grill and it all is at a very awkard angle. Great photo.

I don't remember Canada Day celebrations in Newfoundland but since I was there for 4 years I'm sure I did something...oh wait, I went to a beach once with Pam and some of her friends. Yes, we went swimming...that was nice. Nunavut must still be my best CDay celebration...hiking through Auyuittuq National Park. I always need to google the name to spell it right.





And then there was the CDay I went sun tanning on the beach in Iqaluit...



Lot's of good Canada Day memories. I had planned on going to the parade here but when I called to book my tour for some reason decided on Friday instead of Saturday or Sunday. No regrets. It was great.

And now some token cat pictures....






3 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Happy post Canada Day! Love the pics of the cats, as well as the other pics. How in the world can she jump all the way up on top of the cabinets!?, LOL. I took yesterday & Tuesday off, since it is the 4th here in the states on Monday. So glad to hear you are liking your new job! Aren't Kate & Will really stunning as they tour the whole country! Have a great rest of the holiday weekend!

Jack

Anonymous said...

Hi,
That's neat- I was thinking about that tradition as well. You should scan that pic and e-mail it! We tied in some beach time as well at least a couple of years if I remember... I think you and I were the driving forces between those great Canada Days. Good times :-)
BD

Anonymous said...

Give my Tundra a big kiss! Happy Canada Day! Colleen