Sunday, July 10, 2011

Finally made it down to Heritage Park today. I had free admission from my tour Canada Day weekend...and today was our only sunny day during my long weekend so off I went in search of heritage.

The main thing I learned it that FMMA once produced salt. Yep, salt. Go figure. The exhibits are somewhat interesting and somewhat well put together. I'm not sure what I was expecting but...oh well. It was on the list. FMMA has a long, deep, rich history that kept me busy for about an hour this afternoon. Here's a few pictures from today.

Here's the front of an old Ford truck.

 One of the first pieces of equipment to be used in Fort McMurray at the xoil strands.
 I don't think anyone has used this tractor in a while.

 High class eating establishment in FMMA...a long time ago.
 Wooden church at the park.
 Does anyone know what this is?
 This is another view of the same thing...thoughts????
 Produced in FMMA until it was too expensive to barge it out of the area.


 Love this coffee bean grinder...would love to have one for myself. If you have one or find one somewhere pick it up for me.

I managed to get some scrapbooking done this weekend along with finishing off my vision board. And hit the pool tonight for the first time since I arrive in town. It was great. The MacDonald centre is HUGE and I highly recommend it to anyone who lives here. So much to do. As I was leaving I found flutter boards and leg floats so my next visit should be nice too. Oh, and I found the library...and they have 3 rows of books on CD. I am in LOVE. I just need some more road trips to make full use of them. Plus a lot of great books, magazines and newspapers to read. Oh...I see a few trips to the library in my future as well.

Good weekend overall...and you?

4 comments:

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for posting the pics of your tour. I have no idea what that device is, have never seen one like it before. Glad you had a good time at the pool & library. Have a great week!

Jack

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you had a very interesting weekend. Haven't a clue what that machine is, looks like something you'd see at an old mine. The coffee grinder is cool - don't blame you for wanting that. Also like the old church - how old is it?

Our weekend was good, rain on Saturday, our grandson (3 1/2) had his first soccer game and it was great to watch, kids running every direction and having a blast in the rain. Parent and grandparents on sidelines all shivering and shaking from the cold and wet, but well worth it to watch the munchkins!

Lori B.

Dave S said...

Hi Jen,
haven't checked in with you for a while. FMMA - cool.
That thingy looks like an old belt driven materials elevator, but the buckets seem to be missing. Take some more photos and we'll try to figure it out - I love a mechanical mystery.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

So good to see your new post. I was wondering how things were going with you. As usual, you are out exploring new things and capturing things with your camera so share with us. Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't help you identify the machinery either. Good luck with that!

The pool sounds delightful. I'm sure you will make good use of it.

Off to Triois Riviere tomorrow morning for my nephew's wedding. I'll be travelling the same stretch of road you travelled on the first leg of your journey West.

I'll check in again when I return.

Edith