Saturday, June 18, 2011

Survived the first week with no issues and as I kept telling people...I'm coming back on Monday. While each day seemed long--only because I haven't had to concentrate on doing a 'day job' for two months.

The apartment gets a tiny bit more complete each day. Today I bought the small baskets I wanted for my cupboard. There are 8 of them in total and each one has a purpose; baking, spices, packages/pre-made, etc The cupboard is super organized and I will easily find all the spices when required. It may also stop me from buying extra soup mix when I already own a bag of it. I also took on the task of going through my 'paper' box. It became this filing box full of paper that I told myself I would organize while driving across the country. That never happened, but today I did it. I sorted out all the items that could simply be shredded and they are sitting by the door waiting to go to work. The other items have been sorted into bank stuff and tax stuff and other. The bank stuff is now in order of year. I didn't even sort the tax stuff--too depressing. I also made a list on the computer of where I have lived since 1999 and for how long. I've thought about doing this before and just never seemed to get it done but with all my tax papers, bank statements, etc in front of me I feel fairly confident that the list is correct. The only ones I wasn't entirely sure of is Newfoundland. I have three addresses for my 4 years there and can't remember how long I was in any one spot and which spot was first. I'm sure if I really wanted to google I could find out and I know I'm missing a couple of spots from there but..close enough.

Exciting times eh?

Last night, Friday evening I spent part of my evening cooking and finished up today. I had to wait for Telus to show up today and took advantage of my imprisonment in the apartment to get some cooking finished. In the freezer at this moment is 6 tubs of butter chicken with basmati rice, 9 containers of vegetarian chili and 9 containers of chicken soup. Enough lunchs for the next month at work...plus a bit more. I like being able to just open the freezer door in the morning and grab lunch. It saves so much time. The funny thing was that when I went to go make supper I kept opening up the fridge door and proclaiming to the cats that there is nothing to eat. LOL. Didn't want to waste my lunches on supper on the weekend. I finally threw together some linguini noodles with an alfredo sauce and lobster mushrooms. Not bad.

I am hoping to tackle the bedroom tomorrow and get the craft stuff put away and my jewelry.

The other deed done today was that I bought and replanted some plants for my balcony. I now have a yellow tomato plant, rosemary, basil, mint, parsley and a few others that I'm not sure of. It looks great and smells nice too. Not big on the flower side but it is more green--and practical.

I still haven't purchased my bbq. I was leaning towards electric but am not sure now. The reviews seem to say it will just taste like you cooked it on a G. Foreman grill--and I already have one of those so why bother? But I will see. I certainly like the idea of cooking outdoors and received the names and directions to a few camping places around FMM.

Tomorrow is Father's Day. Happy Day to my dad. He's always there with advice when I want/need it. He's handy, and considerate and darn it he's good with rope. Always an invaluable help to me over the years as I travel the globe. While I may not be there physically, I am of course there in spirit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Glad to hear you are settling in nicely. Some of the things you have done re making lunches in advance, sorting papers for shredding and categorization, orgainzing cupboards, all thngs that a person tends to put off but feel so good when you deal with them. You have made such good use of your time. I hope on Sunday you kicked back and enjoyed a good book!

Edith

Jack said...

Jennifer:

So glad to hear you are getting settled in. I hope the babies are finally adjusting as well, it just takes time. I think you'll just as well with a foreman grill, it seems to work & taste fine for me. But there again, you may benefit well from an outdoor one, I have an outdoor gas grill, but hardly ever use it, for I hate the summer heat, LOL, so most of it's use here is in the winter. You & the babies have a great rest of the weekend!

Jack

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend with your cooking and organizing. Hope you had a bit of time to yourself to enjoy. In no time you will have the apartment up and running as if you had been there for a while. Hope the kittens have settled in a bit more! I might have to steal your basket idea, our spices are all just in the cupboard and we end up duplicating bottles as we are unsure what we have and don't have! But, better too much than not enough!

Enjoy week 2 ... Lori B.