Sunday, May 27, 2012

I used to just pull things out of the cupboards when I needed them as I followed a recipe. This occasionally led to realizing partway through the baking experience that I didn't have a key ingredient and baking came to a stand still as I went off to the store to pick up the missing ingredient.

A couple of years ago I figured out that if I checked the recipe the night before I could eliminate some of the same day shopping. Add to that my smart plan to put all needed ingredients on the cupboard before I started mixing them. The plan evolved and I would move the ingredients from one side of the bowl to the other as I used them or if I was only baking one thing I would put them away as I used them. This almost always guarantees I never forget an ingredient.

Key words were almost always.

Today I was making Lemonade Layer Cake and managed to forget to put the buttermilk in. Whoops. It turned out pretty good actually. It is a very dense almost pound cake like consistency. The folks at work will certainly still eat it. Put enough icing on anything and it usually gets eaten.

I'm determined to try it again tomorrow and do it right this time--hopefully.

Images for early May taken on a road somewhere outside of FMM.



Taken in the house as I aired out and checked out the tent. It is kitty approved. They hung out and slept in it for most of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I loved the pictures! Cats have to claim everything to be their own so I'm not surprised they choose the tent.

You were lucky with the baking that it turned out ok. No one will ever know the difference!!

Great to hear from you and I hope there will be some happy camping ahead.

Edith

Jack said...

Hi Jennifer!

We are so happy to hear from you as always! Edith is right, no one will ever know the difference on the baking. Glad to see the cats checked out and inspected the tent before you're using it! They look very content in their 'safe house'. Hope you have a great week ahead!

Jack

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Good to hear from you! That cake sounds yummy, sounds like it would be a great treat on a warm day, eat the lemonade instead of drinking it!! As usual the pics are great, love the kitties in the tent, think there's a hint there, they want to go too!!

Enjoy your upcoming weekend Jennifer, you as well Jack and Edith (who I will see tomorrow evening) ... Lori B.